Best dog clippers
Choosing the best dog grooming clippers (whether you’re a pro or grooming your own dog) is extremely important for anyone who needs to manage their dogs’ coat regularly. Dog clippers need to provide a suitably high running speed to make sure that the blades can regularly (all the time) cut the dog hair with (almost nothing/very little) risk of injury to the skin.
We have put together a buyers guide of what we believe are the best dog clippers now available today. We have covered budget dog clippers through to the very best high-quality dog clippers. We’re aiming to answer the question: “Which dog clippers are the best?”
We will talk about the pro’s and cons of each every best dog shaver on our list. The best set for you will depend on what you need them for and depend on the size and breed of your dog and their hair length. We’ve covered everything from powerful dog clippers, the best for home use and even the best inexpensive dog clippers.
Our roundup up of the best dog clippers
Keep reading to find out more about each of the entries in our dog clippers top 10!
The best dog clippers for professional and home groomers
So you’ve read our roundup above, now we get down to the detail! Find out why we’ve chosen our top 10, why we recommend them and what the best pair of clippers will be for you, when you take into account budget, ease-of-use, maintenance, do you want cordless or mains powered?
We give you all the information you need below to make an informed decision.
Check out our unbiased reviews and list of the very best dog clippers available!
1. Andis Agc Super 2-Speed Professional Dog Clippers
— Best set of Professional clippers and our #1 on our best dog clippers list
The Angis Agc Super 2 speed Professional dog clipper is ultra quiet, ergonomic (which reduces your hand fatigue), has excellent power and takes all a5 type blades. It comes with a number 10 blade which leaves 1.6mm of hair, so no need to use scissors.
It has the option of two speeds – 4000 and 330 strokes per minute and they’re available in a range of colours!
Here at A1 Grooming, we run courses to teach dog owners how to groom their own dogs. The Andis Agc Professional dog clipper is used and recommended as the best by several of our students. We asked the owner of a Shih Tzu what her experience of these dog clippers are. She had this to say:
” Our Shih Tzu is a rescue dog and doesn’t like strangers (although Tim of A1 Grooming was an exception – she loved him but we live about 60 miles a way and the journey with Cassie wasn’t particularly pleasant) or being transported.
The Angis Agc super dog clippers were bought to groom Cassie at home. These are the best dog clippers for Shih Tzu (and they’re quiet) we have ever used! Previously, we purchased and used several cheaper models that didn’t really ‘cut the mustard’ (no pun intended ;-).
We are happy to report that these dog clippers are fantastic. They glide through her coat with minimal fuss and are ultra silent – causing no nervous reaction from Cassie. These clippers are a real gem!”
As you can see from the above – both Cassie and her owners love these dog clippers. The Andis set are perfect as both professional dog clippers or to be used at home.
We rate these as our number 1 best clippers on our round up!
- Perfect for all coats and breeds, and ideal for all-day professional grooming
- Innovative brushless motor which delivers maximum torque and power
- 2-speed clipper that runs at 3, 000/3, 800 strokes per minute
- Detachable blades for easy cleaning and changing (takes A5 snap-on blades); with Andis CeramicEdge No. 10 Blade included
- Heavy-duty 3m power cord
2. The Wahl Multi cut dog clipper
–The Wahl Multi cut dog clipper is our the most budget friendly on our list – coming in at just under £30, they’re good dog clippers.
We would like to point out these these dog clippers are really only suited for smaller dogs that don’t have thick or course hair as they won’t cut a heavier coat very well.
For the price they aren’t very noisy and the instructional DVD guide is a great addition. The carry case is also a very nice touch. They also come with several detachable comb guides attachments.
These dog clippers are easy to use and cut a close shave, the low noise also means they shouldn’t scare or make your dog nervous.
A1 Grooming’s verdict: Great value for money Dog clippers but they’re not professional pet clippers. Great price though.
- Motor : 10 w vibrating armature (Single Speed)
- Includes instructional DVD with step by step instructions on grooming your dog at home
- Taper control plus four attachment combs for variable clipping length from 0.8 mm to 13 mm
- Rust resistant, high carbon steel blades are precision ground for a superior cutting performance
- Kit Content : Clipper, Standard blade & Blade guard, 4 Black attachment combs (#1 - #4), Grooming comb, Scissors, Storage Case, Cleaning brush, Oil & Instruction booklet
3. Wahl Pet Clipper Kit SS Pro
The SS Pro clippers are powerful, quiet and provide quick clipping and are suitable for almost any type of coat. They’re very easy to control meaning they’re comfortable and won’t cause your hand or wrist to ache.
They have a standard cutting length of 0.7mm and also come with three metal comb attachments for lengths of 3mm, 10mm and 16mm. Resulting in not needing to use dog grooming scissors.
Very high quality clippers at a great price. They’re very quiet producing low noise and this is a great bonus for nervous dogs, resulting in minimal fuss or panic!
They will arrive in a nice plastic storage box. Great Pet Grooming Kit at a great price ideal as professional dog clippers or for the home.
- Powerdrive performance provides quiet, powerful and fast clipping
- This clipper is powerful enough to cope with any coat type
- The professional removable blades allow for easy cleaning and deliver a smooth finish.
- Lightweight for easy use with contoured ridged finger grip for comfort and maximum control
- The range of available blades for this clipper will ensure no fur will be too much
4. Wahl Pro Series Dog Grooming Clippers Mains / Rechargeable
This is the first cordless rechargeable dog clipper in our list. The Wahl Pro Series Cordless Dogs Clipper are a versatile dog clipper that delivers up to 45 minutes use on a full charge. It’s important to note that this clipper can also be used when plugged into the mains.
It also ships with an instructional DVD guide and is stated as “suitable for most types of animal hair”. It comes complete with four attachment combs (they guide very well) that are capable of cutting your dogs hair between 2mm and 13mm lengths.
The high quality blades are also rust resistant. This is due to being high carbon steel blades. They are also handy snap on and snap off (detachable) for easier cleaning.
They’re also a lightweight and low vibration and low noise cordless clipper. They come with a nice durable carry case and a two year guarantee. All for less than a £50 price tag!
The fact that they can be used cordless makes them ideal, if you want to groom your dog outdoors to avoid the mess in doors and 45 minutes usage time should be fine for even the largest of dogs.
- Versatile cord - cordless pet/dog clipper delivers up to 45 minutes cordless use on a full charge or can be used on the cord when charge is low
- Suitable for most types of animal hair - includes instructional DVD with step by step instructions on grooming your dog at home
- Complete with four attachment combs for variable clipping length from 2 mm to 13 mm
- Rust resistant, high carbon steel blades are precision ground for a superior cutting performance, Handy snap on/off fit for easy cleaning
- Lightweight, quiet and low vibration clipper. Packed in a durable storage/carry case and complete with a two year guarantee
5. Wahl Pro Series Lithium dog / pet clipper Kit
Another set of Wahl Clippers! Wahl are extremely popular and well known – they’ve been around decades and continue to produce clippers that are high quality and great value for money. The Wahl Pro series are no different!
They’re corldess and can offer a whopping 2 hours of cordless clipping! You can also use them with the cord, meaning you’ll never run out of charge.
They have an adjustable taper of lengths between 0.8mm and 13mm! They’re ergonomically designed resulting in a comfortable, balanced and easy to use whilst clipping. Excellent pet grooming kit.
- The Wahl Pro Series Lithium clipper is ideal for clipping and maintaining wiry, smooth, long, silky and short coats
- With lithium ion technology the Pro Series Lithium cord-cordless clipper offers up to 120 minutes of cordless cutting and use with the cord means you'll never run out of charge
- Features a 15 minute quick charge option for up to 10 minutes of additional use
- Adjustable taper lever enables cutting lengths of between 0.8 mmand 1.8 mmand with attachment combs included for lengths of 3, 6, 10 and 13 mm
- The ergonomically designed clipper offers balanced, comfortable and easy use when clipping, superior blade geometry
6. Andis RACD Pet Clipper
The Andis RACD dog clipper is a compact and lightweight clipper. It comes with blades capable of lengths between 1.6mm and 25.4mm (using the included attachment combs).
It has a maintenance free motor and the blades and combs are very easy to change – using the the quick press release button.
The design is an ergonomic one that fits comfortably in either hand.
- Powerful pet clipper which is compact in size
- Comes complete with a no. 10 blade and no. 7f blade which leaves 1.6mm hair and 3.4mm hair.
- Comes complete with 6 attachment combs to add extra length, ranging from 1.6mm to 25.4mm. maintenance free motor.
- Blades are easy to change. blades cannot be resharpened but separate blades are available.
- Comes in a handy carry bag. this clipper does not take a5 snap on blades.
7. WAHL U-Clip Dog Clipper Kit
The WAHL U-Clip Dog Clipper has been popular for several years now and we can understand why. It’s a reliable dog clipper with a variety and colourful range of blades.
The powerful rotary motor can easily glide through wiry, smooth, long, silky and short coats and makes an easy job out of grooming your dog.
It’s very well made and will last you a while if it is well looked after and maintained. The lead is also a good length, so will get round any table easily.
We have various customers that have explicitly used these dog clippers on their poodles. They love how the clipper leaves the coat. They state that they’re very easy to use and they’re not overly noisy and don’t cause bother to their poodles (they’ve even used these clippers on their pet rabbit!).
- This long lasting mains powered dog clipper features most powerful motor for home grooming and is specifically designed to maintain wiry, smooth, long, silky and short coats at home
- Fitted with precision ground, high carbon steel blades that work with the adjustable taper control system to offer cutting lengths between 0.8 mmand 1.8 mmwithout snagging or leaving clipper tracks
- 8 coloured attachment combs make it easy to select the desired cutting length which range from 3-25mm
- This ergonomically designed clipper is comfortable for you and your dog, with a rubberised grip and low noise levels
- Robust and durable, the clipper comes with a 2.5 m cable
8. Andis AGC Super 2 Speed Dog Grooming Clippers with Size 10 and 7FC Blades
–Best buy for premium budget where money is no object
Andis AGC Super 2 Speed Dog Grooming Clipper with Size 10 and 7FC Blades is the premium choice of dog clippers. It is advertised as a deluxe pack and comes with two premium blades – both a number 10 and 7f blade. It is billed as being “designed for professional salon use”.
With a running speed of 4000 and 3300 strokes per minute on the slower setting – this truly is a premium motor. The motor on these dog trimmers allows a much quicker and will easily dog groom the worst coat.
Matted coats are also easier to clip due to the power and speed of this dog clippers motor. It is very comfortable when held and will keep hand fatigue to an absolute minimum.
You will get an exceptionally smooth cut. The time required to clipper and groom your dog is reduced. They work well on all types of coats including wire coats. These clippers truly are a ‘cut’ above the rest! Wonderful pet grooming kit.
Highly recommended as the best by us at A1 Grooming! The price tag is justified.
- Deluxe pack!
- This clipper comes with both a number 10 blade and 7f!
- Designed for professional salon use
- Quiet motor which delivers enough power for all day heavy duty clipping
- Comfortable handpiece which reduces hand fatigue
09. Andis Pro-Pet Deluxe Pet & Dog Hair Clippers
The Andis pro are a deluxe set of dog hair clippers perfect for semi-professional dog groomers. They’re a great dog clipper for finer, clean coats and faces, paws and ears.
The clippers come with a number ten blade – excellent for a short and close clipping. They come with 4 attachment combs for 3mm, 6mm, 10mm and 13mm lengths, perfect for any length of dog hair.
Operating at 3,000 strokes per minute. It also ships with a durable carry case and weighs in at only 430 grams. These clippers are lightweight and ergonomically friendly to the bones in your hand, fingers and wrist.
- Ideal for fine and smooth coats
- Can be used for areas such as tails, paws, ears and face
- The clipper operates at 3,000 strokes per minute
- Ergonomic hand piece
- Can use all a5 type blades
10. Masterclip Pedigree Pro Professional Dog Clippers
The Masterclip Pedigree pro professional dog clipper is a powerful two speed Rotary motor. It has 2 speed settings of 2300 RPM and 2900 RPM.The blade is made from high quality 30F German steel blade and ships with comb guards for lengths of 6mm, 10mm, 13mm and 16mm.
Priced at just under £100 – these are a great price and buy. They have a professional feel. The comb guards are perfect for use with varying breeds and allow you to choose the suitable for lengths for your dog.
One of our students uses these dog clippers for their 6 dogs and they have lasted in excess of one year (so far). They report that they can clip their spaniels with one hour (10 minutes per dog!). They had previously used cheap dog clippers that didn’t last all that long. They rate these as the best dog clippers UK.
That concludes our roundup of the best electric dog clippers available today. If you think there are a set that deserve to be on this list – please let us know!
The difference between dog hair clippers and human clippers
There are some cases where people have used human clippers on their dog. This is not advised as the motor is not strong enough and runs the risk of pulling the skin into the blades.
This can result in cuts to the skin. Also, the blades found on human hair clippers are typically thinner and become clogged and blunt. Again, this adds to the risk of cutting the dogs’ skin.
Cordless dog clippers
The market has seen the development of cordless dog clippers over the last decade. A rechargeable battery replaces the cable and allows for more flexibility when using the clippers. There is no need for a power cable when grooming and cutting your dogs hair and fur.
The trade off is that the rechargeable cordless dog clippers will be limited to a running time. So, the effectiveness of the motor at work will depend on the percentage of power in the battery. Typically if the battery is at 30%, the motor speed will reduce. This will effect the final finish of your dog, unless the battery of the cordless clipper is replaced with a fully charged spare or time is allowed to recharge the battery.
Weight is another point to mention with the best rechargeable clippers, they will weigh considerably more than corded clippers – for a busy day in the salon grooming, this is another important factor to consider. Perhaps for the enthusiast or pet owner, this may not be a factor to consider – but for a busy groomer, it can be a lot of extra stress on the hands.
Noise and vibration can also be noticed to be different when comparing clippers. Dog Clippers that have a power cable typically sound quieter and produce less vibration than cordless clippers. My theory is that the consistently higher output of the motor means that the blades and vibration are always within the optimum range that can only come from the plugged source. Ideally, for a busy groomer, the investment in two types of clippers is best, one corded for puppies or dogs who are more nervous, cordless for the versatile grooming of dogs.
The blades are another requirement to consider. Blades are designed to fit the clippers and are defined by what fitting you have. Some companies make clippers that are suitable for blades with “x Fitting” – this ensures that the blades fit with the clipper to be used.
Blade lengths vary, typically the higher the number of the blade – the shorter the hair is cut. For example for Andis blades, a 40 blade cuts the hair so that there is less than 1mm of length left. Blades will be labeled to show what length the hair is cut to. Please check with the manufacturer to ensure you have the right length for your dogs hair.
Together with the dedicated blades, there are products called detachable comb attachments. These detachable comb attachments typically fit one blade and allow for a variety of different lengths to be created – giving a more versatile range of lengths and helping with the glide as you use them. They give a similar cut to using dog scissors. The bonus of using comb guides are that they cut the hair from the ends (because they guide) and protect the roots – important if you have an immature fur coat or a damaged fur coat on the dogs you are going to groom.
Blades for the dog clippers can now be found in different materials, in particular, there are now ceramic blades that reduce the heat from the friction that makes the blades hot. These are classed as disposable blades as they are not sharpened. Important if there is a lot of coat to be clipped or the groomer need a longer time to cut.
Don’t forget to check out our best dog grooming bath roundup
If you have found our clippers roundup useful – you might want to check out our best dog grooming baths roundup. A good dog grooming bath can be the difference between a great grooming experience for dogs and a bad one. Often, your dog will be groomed and then bathed, so these two roundups go hand in hand!
It’s an especially good read for those of you wanting to groom professionally. We have included a range of grooming baths that will suit all budgets and intentions. Take a look over at our sister site.